Looking for work can involve drawing on a number of resources and networks to maximise your chance of gaining employment.
You may find work through:
- Job advertisements online, company websites, local newspapers and employment agencies.
- Register online with employers.
- Register with employment agencies.
- Cold canvassing at businesses that you would like to work and providing them with a cover letter and resume.
- Networking among your community, friends and family.
- Social Media.
- Identify businesses and organisations that offer jobs in the area you would like.
- Dress appropriately and make sure you are well presented.
- Take a cover letter and resume with you.
- Ask to speak with the manager or second in charge.
- Be prepared to speak briefly about your skills, training, what you would bring to a position and why you would like the opportunity to work in their business.
- Follow up with a phone call to refresh the manager of your conversation and reinforce your willingness to work.
- Be realistic about your skill set and jobs you apply for.
Dealing with disappointment IF YOU don’t GET THE JOB
- Don’t take it personally.
- Focus on your strengths.
- Find ways to improve – Take a fresh look at your application
- Look at short courses to upskill
- Explore other training options
- Get someone else to read your application
- Practise your interview skills
- Practise your cold calling skills
- Look at job placements to gain new skills
- Stay positive the right job is about the right fit for you as well as the business.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback on your application / interview.
- Keep applying for new opportunities.